National Officer -HIV / AIDS (INLS)-(2204330)Grade : No gradeContractual Arrangement : Special Services Agreement (SSA)Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days) : 6 Months..
1.Purpose of the Post :
The function will support the ministry of Health to respond to the challenges of Tuberculosis, HIV / AIDS and Hepatitis.
2.Objectives of the Programme and of the immediate unit or field activity (Overview of the programme) :
The World Health Organization (WHO) Africa region is the hardest hit where about 74% of the estimated 1.2 million TB patients co-infected with HIV occurred in 2014.
For many years, efforts to tackle TB and HIV have been largely independent of each other, despite their overlapping epidemiology.
The risk of progression from latent to active TB is increased by infection with HIV. Likewise, TB is the most important opportunistic disease that increases progression to acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and the number one killer in HIV-positive individuals.
Thus, effective TB control can contribute to better HIV / AIDS control by reducing the TB burden in people with HIV as well as providing an entry point to HIV prevention and care for people with TB.
Chronic HBV infection is the risk factor for the development of HCC. The progression of chronicity and the associated pathogenesis directly correlate with active viral replication demonstrable by serological markers.
The fight against HIV, Tuberculosis and Viral Hepatitis is a public health problem and the government in its National Development Plan 2018-2022 outlined the need to strengthen access and availability of quality goods in these health areas.
Organizational Context (Describe the work environment, the role of the individual within the team team member, specialist, adviser, facilitator, coordinator / manager, representative, expert, authority in the field, etc.
available guidelines and degree of independence in decision making, and nature and purpose of contact within and outside the Organization) :
Supervised by the Disease Prevention and Control Team Leader, under the overall guidance of the WHO Representative and working closely with counterparts at the respective Regional Office and HQ, the incumbent will provide technical support to the Government in scaling up the capacity of the Ministry of Health, at all levels, to address the above HIV / AIDS, TB and Hepatitis challenges.
3.Summary of Assigned Duties (Describe what the incumbent has to do to achieve main objectives; include main achievements expected) :
4. Provide technical support to improve integrated health information system, especially increased demand, generation and use of quality data / information related to TB, HIV / TB and Hep.
5. Participate in resource mobilization and contribute to proposal development and implementation of, but not limited to, the Global Fund grants, PEPFAR.
6. Assist the Health Sector in ensuring the real-time monitoring of the epidemiological trends of Hep, TB and HIV, in addition to the progress of the response.
7. Provide technical support to recommend programme initiatives and priorities, including operational / implementation research, based on analysis of technical and policy problems identified during the programme implementation.
8. Liaise with the government counterparts to facilitate and support adaptation and implementation of the national TB and HIV / Hep programmes in line with the WHO normative guidance and international best practice.
9. Assist in the interpretation and translation of relevant documents.
10. Ensure a brokering role of main actors involved in the health sector and advise the WHO Representative for policy dialogue aimed at addressing bottlenecks limiting progress of the response related to Hep, TB and HIV and
11. Perform any other tasks assigned by the supervisors
Competencies (Describe the core, management or leadership competencies required - See WHO competency model list in order of priority, commencing with the most important ones identify a minimum of three and a maximum of five competencies) :
1) Communicating in a credible and effective way
2) Respect and promote individual and cultural differences
3) Produce results
4) Ensuring the effective use of resources
5) Fostering integration and teamwork
Functional Skills and Knowledge (Describe skills and knowledge specific to the post) :
5.Education (Qualifications) :
Essential : Medical degree or Degree in Public Health or Epidemiology or other related field
Desirable : Post graduate training on Masters’ Degree in public health or epidemiology. specialized training in communicable diseases.
Essential : At least five years related experience in public health.
Excellent knowledge of Portuguese. Working knowledge of English or another WHO official language would be an asset.
8.Other Skills (e.g. IT) :
Knowledge of office software applications.